Gulab jamun are imo the best desi dessert. Ever. They are basically powdered milk balls fried and soaked in sugar syrup. 🤤
- 3/4 a cup of powdered milk.
- 1/2 cup of semolina
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp. ghee or clarified butter*
- milk as required for kneading the dough approx. 3-4 tbsp.
For the sugar syrup:
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of water
- lemon juice 1 tsp
Optional add-in for the syrup:
- a few strands of saffron
- rose water 1 tbsp.
- Add all the dry ingredients to a bowl and stir.
- Now add in the ghee and sort of crumble it up so its like moist sand.
- Now slowly add in the milk until it forms a firm dough.
- Now add the ingredients for the sugar syrup to a pan and cook until it boils.
- Now start making small ball of the dough and try to make them as uniform as possible.
- Fry the balls at a low flame until brown.
- Immediately add it to the sugar syrup which you should have poured out into a bowl.
- Let them sit for about half an hour so they soak up the syrup.